Thursday, December 20, 2012

Internet writing resources

Today I would like to talk about how the Internet can help a writer not just distract us. The Internet can be a hindrance but it used with care it can help a struggling writer get through that next scene. I, personally, have a terrible time remembering how to spell words. It is a constant and annoying problem. Now, for me, when I say that I have trouble spelling words I sometimes cannot even remember what letter the word starts with. I know why I have that trouble but that does not help me when I can writing. So Google has saved my life so many times. When I cannot remember how a word starts I think about what the word means or what a synonym/antonym to the word is. Worse comes to worse I will just ask someone(usually the spouse he's good like that.).

Another excellent source for a writer who is having trouble just getting started is prompts. There are many websites that are just full with writing prompts but my personal favorite is Adam Maxwell's writing prompts. Here is website- http://www.adammaxwell.com/writers-tools/writing-prompts-generator/. When you want a or need a new prompt you just refresh the page. The prompts are to the up right under the banner but the whole page is about writing prompts and people talking in the comments. I like the whole set-up and I love to write using prompts. Prompts can give a writer a way to take a story that you never would have thought of yourself. If the prompts you get does not work will what you are trying to write just either refresh the page or try running a Google search for prompts for mystery stories or chick-lit. The Internet has all those and so many more than I can think of.

The next thing that the Internet gives writers is the ability to connect with each other. The is nothing like the support one writer or artist can give to each other. we understand each other like no one else can. I belong to some writer groups like NaNoWriMo and Master Koda on Facebook. The understanding and honesty that we have with other artists is amazing and sometimes just what you need to hear. No matter what kind of art you do you need to have support not just from family and friends but other people you need to have contact with others who do the somethings you do. That is because you need someone who not afraid to tell you the truth. People who love you may not be able to express what they really think about your work, if it not 'Everything you do is awesome!', because they do not want to hurt your feelings or discourage you. So having people who care more about your growth as an artist than your feelings is something every artist needs.

I may return to this topic again because I have not exhausted the Internets at all. Thank you for reading and see you next week!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lynn for sharing! You are so right, we all need like minded folks to connect, grow and sharpen our skills with.

    ReplyDelete