Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Camp NaNoWriMo

So everyone is getting geared up for Camp NaNoWriMo but I am not doing it this year. I tried twice last year but with grad school, lupus, and general life it did not happen. This week has been rough for me because I have so much to work on and I just have no desire to write. I think that because I am writing one to two papers a week for grad school I just do not have anything left. I was going to write a post about defending fanfiction but I am sure that it needs. My post would have say "Fanfiction is good for writers because it gives us a safe place to play. It is not serious but can be taken seriously." I would have fluffed it up with more words but that is it. Fanfiction is good for young writers to work with because it gives them a voice without the seriousness and emotional involvement of their personal works.

Back to Camp NaNo I do recommend doing NaNoWriMo once in your writerly career because it shows you just what you can do if your back is to the wall. I know that some people do not like to have that kind pressure on them but without a deadline I would never get anything done. And NaNo has a very tight deadline. When I have done NaNo I have written like the wind and I loved it. I have done NaNo from a plotless point to having a plotted out course with an outline and guidelines for where I wanted to be by certain days. I know that there are people out there who has that anything written in such a haphazard way cannot be good. Not the first draft, but anyone who wants their first draft to the prefect is going to be disappointed, but if you edit it and work with it the first draft will turn into something special and important. So if you have the time and the guts to do Camp NaNo do it. Talk your friends into, I did. And I promise you will have more fun than you knew possible on a deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment