Thursday, November 29, 2012

Genre and Grad School

As some of my readers know I am in grad school for library sciences. But only my spouse knows that I have brought my love of Genre to my classes. For example in one of my classes (collection development) I build a Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Steampunk collection for my final project. I had a wonderful time and now I know that I only need about 20,000 dollars to build an excellent personal collection (like I am ever going to have 20,000 dollars I'm in Library School). This is not the first class that I have bought my love genre into. In fact in every term I have done it. For my computer programing class the last project I did on game and how to work them. In my spring term I did my big presentation on female superheroes and I wrote a 15 page paper on them. In summer I created a guide to all the genre publishers with history of them, contact info, and more.

It has not been easy and I have had some flak for being so genre but that is how it is. In my final paper for collection development I am writing about how important Science Fiction is to Society. Notice the capitals. When in class talking about it I have had to deal with people just ignoring me to out and out saying that it is not important it is just a cheap way to tell story. I respectfully disagree with that. Science Fiction and Fantasy are the ways that we as a culture talk about hard and scary things. When we need to talk about inequality it is much easier for us to that when we put it in a non-real way. I do not understand why that is so magical but it is. The only real problem I am having with that paper is that I feel that I have said everything I need to about the subject but I'm a little short on the pages. So hopefully I will add pages when I started the editing like later today.

On the up note I will have more time starting on Tuesday. I will have time to write, read, and God willing get a job. I am not asking for anything great or huge but I would like a job where I answer phones or something like it. Nothing really hard because grad school has shown me that I am not that smart. So starting next week I am going to hitting the pavement job hunting. Not the best time I know but what else can I do? Thanks for reading and see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment