Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Story Ideas

Today’s post I want to talk about ideas for stories. That is something that very artist, be they writer, Art artist, or musician, is where do we get our ideas from? I have heard everything from my ‘I don’t have story ideas I just know what to write’ to ‘Everything is a story waiting to happen’. Well I envy those guys because that is not the way that it works for me. I cannot speak for others so this is will about where I get my ideas for plots, characters, and settings from. I get most of my ideas for stories is from dreams and the shower.

My shower is the most inspiring place in the whole world. This week I had a great idea for a dark urban fantasy that I do not want to give too much information about because I am still working on the details. I do not know what it is about my bathroom but I have the most spiritual, creative experiences in there. I know that it really weird and I have probably just lost half of my readers but it is true. If I am having trouble with a paper or a story I just go take a shower and bam! I will have the answer. Now the answer maybe rewriting the whole the thing but I am, normally, so glad just to have an answer that I do not care about the extra work. The solution will also help me not feel the time that I have spent in the writing. So next time you are stuck take a shower. There is just something magical about it.

The next biggest place I get ideas from are my dreams. I have a very active dream life. I think that it is because I do not have the most exciting life. I go to class, apply for jobs, watch TV and movies, I read a lot and once year I go to Dragon*Con (most magical time of the year!). But that is about it. I never really was very exciting and with the onset of Lupus I have become even less so. So my brain is making up for my less than exciting personal life by having a very intense and exciting dream life. I have dreamed most of the stories that I have (or rather had been working on see post on Dreams and Goals about that) been writing for years now. I do not have exiting dreams that I remember often. I always hope when I am going to sleep that I will have an awesome dream and remember it. My dream life does make up for my boring real life because in the dream I do not have Lupus. I do not have to think about my meds or getting too hot or anything other than whatever excitement is happening around me. I forget myself in my dreams. Maybe that is sad but it is true.

So the next time you are wondering where you are going to get your next story from take a shower or a nap. I know that one or both will work for you. Until next time readers, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment